Worldly Game Interviews King Eric


I had a chance to interview King Eric from the blog, Escobar 300. I previously shared a post of his my blog. King Eric is an aspiring entrepreneur that lends his talents to a variety of things within the music business. He’s one of the hosts of the show Off the Cuff and he’s also a part of the Grid 10 crew.

Derrick: King Eric, Goodnight (since it’s night time) :-D. What exactly do you do in the music business, and what sparked your passion to start doing what you do?

King Eric: What I do in the music business is that I use my platform which is Off the Cuff Radio as a hip hop syndicate to give promotion to up and coming artists (whom are talented) and willing to get that push.

King Eric: What sparked my passion is my thirst for knowledge of how the game operates behind the scenes. I love dropping information to spark discussion and enlightened minds.

King Eric: It also came with a desalinated purpose because I’ve seen VJs and hip hop journalists misrepresenting the art, so I wanted to create an alternative that’s very unique.

Derrick: That’s what’s up. I’ve commented before that your show is like a modern day version of Rap City in Tha Basement because Big Tigger used to be on his shit when he’d bring guests on his show, and the guests were always talented. Furthermore, the way you play cuts from your guest also seems reminiscent of Rap City in Tha Basement. This is all a good thing though since Rap City in Tha Basement was a model of success because his show was very successful.

Derrick: Was your aim to create that nostalgic feeling of the show Rap City in Tha Basement or did you unexpectedly just create that nostalgic feeling?


King Eric: Man, it's funny you say that because it was a scenario that happened spontaneously.

King Eric: I thought adding background music would bring more flavor to the show and it did! I wanted to pick instrumentals that flow nicely. Madlib, 9th Wonder, and MF Doom, cats that folks in the surface know about, and introduce them as well.

King Eric: It brought that Rap City nostalgia feel to the podcast and it’s more enticing.

Derrick: Yeah, it is.

Derrick: So, how long have you been in the music business and how did you get started?

King Eric: I'd say 15 years to be exact.  I started doing reviews for underground albums for small indie labels. The labels would mail me albums and I'd write reviews for them and submit them in exchange for profit.

King Eric: After that, I started contributing to different hip hop pages and writing reviews because my dream was writing for The Source like everyone else. But once I saw how shaky their rating system was, I was like I have to do my own because they’re misrepresenting the culture I love.

King Eric: I then started working on street teams for labels and that's where I learned about promoting.

Derrick: That’s what’s up.

Derrick: Now, currently you’re involved with The Grid 10 as well as Off the Cuff. Tell everyone a little about both of them.

King Eric: The Grid 10 concept came from my friends, Sky Grid and Joe the Hateful. Good people from the A. Sky had a vision of creating a Black media outlet that speaks on our issues, our culture, our community, music, fashion, and etc.

King Eric: Not to knock every one because there are sites still representing, but not on a high microscope. We felt serious issues involving us weren't getting addressed properly because chatty pattiness about insignificant stuff such as the Kardashians dominated Black websites while serious issues were overlooked.

King Eric: So, we came together and created the platform that represents for the people.

King Eric: And they knew my writing background along with my blog and ear for music, so they knew I made a great edition to the team

Derrick: That’s what’s up.

Derrick: Now, in the past, I’ve shared one of your posts from your blog, Escobar 300, it was very thorough; tell everyone a little about your blog and what intents and aspirations do you have for it.

King Eric: Appreciate it sir. I created the Escobar 300 blog as a way of really being able to express my views. The game is very political, and when you’re under someone, you have to somewhat respect their platform and not be too over the top. My passion and views are very brash and some folks got tired of getting hate mail. :-D

King Eric: So, I created that blog to really express myself, speak my mind, keep folks current with everything within the world, as well as keep folks fed with exclusive music.

King Eric: I was hoping to achieve notoriety with my work and eventually drop game for profit. It would be nice, but money isn't my main intent. It's using our voices to empower and create opportunity.

Derrick: I feel you.

Derrick: Alright, let me bring it back to today’s music, since you’re in the music business, what are your thoughts and feelings about today’s music, and what do you think talented veterans and new comers need to do to ensure their success and longevity?

King Eric: Well, this is a complex answer. I see improvement in terms of content, and that's due to the events currently happening.

King Eric: Good Music is ALWAYS out here. The problem is folks are obligated to play the game. Payola is the worst thing to happen to radio, along with the sample laws which passed in 2001. Sample laws crippled creativity which led to producers using fruity loops and recycling the same 808 trap sounds you hear now on radio.

King Eric: There are TONS of great artists putting out consistent records but don't have the muscle or resources to get their voices heard. That's why the GRID 10 platform is a necessity.

King Eric: I felt the veterans got so caught up in the hoopla of the big budgets, money, until they lost sight of controlling the culture. It’s sad seeing guys in their 40s trying to appeal to teenagers.

Derrick: Got you. Yeah, I had to make you think. I like to stretch the critical thinking capacity of my readers and those I interact with. I feel what you’re saying about the old-heads too. :-D

Derrick: Any last things that you want people to know? Also, let me get Joe the Hateful’s and Sky Grid’s reference information so people can go and support them.

King Eric: Well, I want to thank everyone who believed, supported, and tolerated me. I would love to give mainly my mother a shout out because she instilled the courage within me to go out there and do radio in the first place. I also want to give a shout out to NC Rap Scene, OTG fam, The Tennessee butchers, South Central Cartel family, and many others who continue to support and believe in our vision.


(If you enjoyed this post, then please consider subscribing to stay up-to-date with my latest postings and sharings. Also, please share and support Worldly Game.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tag the Sponsor Exposes the Depravity of Modern Women

Art of Seduction Archetypes

7 Things To Do To Make Her Act Right